Hi, How Can We Help You?
  • Call: (+353) 1599 301610


June 13, 2019

Abolition of re-entry visas

Abolition of re-entry visas

From 13 May 2019 visa required nationals who hold a valid IRP/GNIB card no longer need a re-entry visa to travel to Ireland. Their IRP/GNIB card and passport will be sufficient. This brings Ireland in line with the other EU Member States.

Visa required nationals who do not hold an IRP/GNIB card will continue to require a valid visa, which must be applied for from outside the State.

A minor needs a re-entry visa to leave Ireland for a short period (usually up to 90 days) and then return again, eg on holiday with their parents.

If the minor leaves without a re-entry visa or does not return within the period shown on the visa, you (the minor’s parent or guardian) must apply for a new long stay or short stay visa for them to come back to Ireland.

A minor who holds an Irish residence permit, the IRP or GNIB card, do not need a re-entry visa. IRP and GNIB cards are issued to minors who are resident in Ireland on the basis of EU Treaty Rights and have EU FAM 4 permission. Other minors are not registered and do not receive an Irish residence permit.

Stamp 6 holders cannot currently be issued with a GNIB/IRP card. INIS intends, to issue IRP cards to Stamp 6 holders. In the meantime, if you are a visa-required national and have a Stamp 6 permission in your passport, you may apply for a re-entry visa if you intend to travel and return to Ireland using your non-Irish passport. You must apply by post.

A visa allows you to travel to Ireland during the dates shown on the visa document. It does not guarantee that you will be allowed into Ireland.

When you arrive at border control an immigration officer will examine your visa, passport and other documents. The officer can refuse you entry to Ireland even if you have a visa.

If you are given permission to enter, the officer will place a ‘landing stamp’ on your passport.

The landing stamp shows the reason for your visit, eg holiday, work, study, etc. It also shows how long you can stay, up to a maximum of 90 days.

If you wish to stay longer than 90 days, the stamp will show when you need to register with immigration. You must register if your stay lasts longer than 90 days.

Immigration & Visa Services Ireland

IVS Ireland provides professional services with support, advice, information and the necessary representation required and will assist you in submitting your applications, requests and documents to the various governmental departments.

Call Our Immigration Consultant Now